Advertisement

Is Judaism a Form of Yoga?

Rose Erin Vaughan, an experienced Yoga teacher and Trigger Point Therapist has inspired me.  She’s not only inspired me as a Yoga teacher, but as a person in general.  The funny thing is that, during Yoga teacher training, I thought Rose Erin would only teach us postures.  But, the majority of the time, she’s talked about how helping others was the real Yoga.  This made me want to dive deeper into the subject of Yoga and understand it better.  With everything that Rose Erin has taught me, as a Jew, I started to understand how Yoga itself is similar to Judaism.  I mean, when most people think of Yoga, they usually think of the stretching, and Yoga postures such as Lotus and Downward Facing Dog.  In fact, many people would argue that they can’t do Yoga. Yet, any Jew can follow Judaism if they wanted to. So I kept asking myself, “How is it similar?”

Listening to Rose Erin and other Yoga instructors, I found that Yoga is not only akin to Judaism, I believe it’s correct to say Judaism itself is Yoga.  Most people think about Yoga only in terms of postures. But, the truth is that postures are a very small portion of the Yoga tradition.  The Yoga Sutra mentions Yoga postures only once.  Throughout the rest of the Sutra, it talks about helping others and not harming anyone.

Credits -

https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/is-judaism-yoga/

Post a Comment

0 Comments